Who is using Social Media today?
A study from the Pew Research Center was released in February on usage of the top social media networks. Buried in all of the data were the first reportable numbers for usage of Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr by demographic. Luckily for us, DocStoc made a handy infographic to showcase the findings in an easy to read format, and Mashable posted it for all to share.
The expected findings are that:
- Facebook is still the 800 pound gorilla of social media
- Women use social media more than men
- Urban dwellers use social media more than rural residents
- Pinterest attracts women and rural residents
Some of the more unexpected insights to be found here are that:
- Hispanics are the most engaged social media users, by far
- African Americans are more engaged in social media than Caucasians
- LinkedIn is used by more US adults than Twitter
- Instagram has a strong appeal for African Americans, Hispanics, and urban dwellers